Morocco, Part 5

16 Nov

This is the final installment of my Morocco trip!!  I forgot to mention in my last post that one of the important things we were told to do by one of our favorite ISA directors was to wake up at 5:30 am and watch the sunrise.

Number one: Yuck. Early. Number two: didn’t hear the ‘wake up call’ (more of a round of clapping from what I hear) the first day. So the next morning, we got up on our own, super early, and headed to a dune. We sat and talked and waited for the sun to rise. I didn’t get any pictures of the sunrise because I couldn’t find my camera in the dark, but let me tell you- it was one of the most

beautiful things I’ve seen. Watching the light hit each individual dune, watching the sand light up, watching the sun peek over the sand that stretched on and on… It was amazing. Absolutely worth getting up early for. After that, we went back and tried to sleep for a few hours until breakfast started. And when it was time to get up, we really weren’t in the mood.

Amanda threatened to take pictures of us if we didn't get up. She's good with follow through.

So we got up, had another beautiful and amazing and wonderful breakfast, and then packed up. We played for the last time in the sand of the Sahara, and tried to get warm. Notice in the above picture I am wearing a sweatshirt, two shirts and long pants. In the desert, it is absolutely beyond freezing at night. The temperature difference between night and day is unbelievable. I had changed from this sort of outfit to shorts and a cami the previous day.

So, to end our Sahara journey, we took tons of pictures. Friend pictures, henna pictures, MUSIC NOTE BLANKET pictures!

My pretty henna on my hand! I love the details.

Friend shadow desert pics! From left: Music note and I, Sav, Amanda.

Music Note makes it to the desert!!

Cuddling for warmth.

When we had successfully taken tons of pictures, we rounded up our stuff and made our way to the food tent, near which the jeeps would soon arrive to take us away from the sand. As they came, one by one, people ran to the jeeps. Getting a jeep first meant getting to the town first, which meant getting to pick and/or save seats on the bus first. This was an important mission, because some seats are way better than others, ex. The seats in front of the second exit door. Reason: You can lay back as far as you want and no one complains. Ex2. The seats right behind the same exit door. Reason: You can put your legs up on the rest and stretch out. For this reason, when it was announced that there was one seat left in a jeep, Savannah lept to action, running to the jeep to secure us spots on the bus together. (She’s so good like that.) Amanda and I waited and hopped into the next jeep.

Pics from the jeep- camels just chillin on the side of the road. Normal.

Mountains of sand, and all that dark in the foreground? Rocks. Quite the bumpy ride.

Dunes we drove through!

When we got to the busses, Sav had saved us all seats, and after that it was basically one long journey to Meknes. There were really great things about this journey and really awful things about it. I’ll start with the good.

After a few hours, we see other tour busses pass us. Our tour busses. Sevilla tour busses. Someone says that its the other group from Sevilla. My heart melts. My friends that I couldn’t go on the trip with were passing us on their way to the desert. I missed them. Our director announces we are going to literally pull over to the side of the road and stop for 10 minutes to say hi. I cried. I’m not joking. I hugged Dan. I hugged Jess. I hugged Taryn and Alyssa. And I sobbed. I missed them and I was so happy to see them! After that, our directors came over and also said hi. They hugged us and asked how the trip had gone and I had to hold back tears again. I missed our directors.

So what do we do? On the side of the road somewhere in Morocco, we take friend pictures.

I am not joking when I say that this was really close to being my favorite part of the trip. Seeing friends was amazing (although that camel ride was preeeetty sweet).

So that’s the good. Between the good and the bad part of the story, we stopped again at the place where the lady charged us to go to the bathroom. This time I took pictures of my favorite parts:



Arabic gas station signs! -This one's for you Padre! Though I'm not quite sure what it means...

On to the bad I suppose. The bad begins with the fact that we watched Guillermo del Toro’s “El Orfanato.” Scary movie = boo. Though about halfway through, I couldn’t pay attention if I wanted to, because my stomach started hurting, a lot. I tried to ignore it, but that just resulted in further nausea. So, around the end of the movie, I finally asked Amanda if she would go up and ask them to stop the bus. They asked me to come to the front, but I was shaky and didn’t think I could. When I felt the bus slowing, I ran to the front and off the bus. I have only felt that sick so suddenly once before. I can’t be sure if I had eaten something bad, but I didn’t throw up. I did, however, go to the bathroom near a pile of rocks in the middle of Morocco, after stopping two tour busses full of people. Embarassing to say the least. But mildly important to the story.

After probably fifteen minutes, I felt okay to get back on the bus. I sat in the front near the driver, and it was calming to be able to watch the road. We made it to Meknes about 45 minutes after I stopped the busses, and I immediately ran into the hotel to use the bathroom. I came back out, and Sav and Amanda had gotten most of my things off the bus, but I talked to one of the directors and she said I should probably run out and get my other stuff, because she wasn’t sure how safe it would be overnight. I ran out with her, and then she gave me some medicine to settle my stomach. It was some orange powder that you put in a liter of water that makes it taste essentially like paper. Gah. Needless to say I didn’t even close to drink all of it.

She also told me I should stay away from eating dinner. Uhm. Seriously? I hadn’t eaten anything substantial all day, and she wanted me to refrain from eating? Free food? Psh.

Especially when this is the fancy table setting we walked in to.

Turns out I wasn't a huge fan of the food, but I definitely ate some french fries.

I had these huge dreams of swimming in the pool or going out to get post cards, but instead, we showered and slept. I laid down on my bed thinking, ah. Savannah’s in the shower. I will get ready for bed when she’s out. The next thing I know Savannah is out of the shower and getting ready for bed. I was so physically and emotionally exhausted. I basically got up and brushed my teeth and fell straight back asleep.

The next morning I was feeling better. We got downstairs and had breakfast- breakfast was always the best, no matter where we were- with coffee and french toast and fruit and all sorts of other beautiful things. We grabbed our bags and hit the road once again. We started out our final journey, back to Spain.

This journey was extremely long, and not all that interesting. The long ride was only punctuated by a few stops, and here are some pictures I have from those:

We were not quite sure we wanted to know what this meant... The white and black sticker says: Tampon blister, 65 dirham. Over children's coloring books. Oy.

Pretty flowers outside.


After the stops, the last main thing we had to do was hop back on the ferry and head home. We watched Wizards of Wavery Place in spanish- that was funny- and took funny pictures.

We are making sloth faces. SCDC. Oh yeah.

After that, it was a couple hours to Sevilla, where we celebrated Halloween, yes, we drove back on Halloween, by getting mooned, staring at people in Halloween costumes, and cheering so loud I’m sure our host mom heard it from literally a mile away. We walked the forty minutes home, threw our stuff in our room, probably tracked a pound of sand into the house, ate dinner (soup, just what I wanted!! How did she know??) and I uploaded the video. Then we slept. For practically forever.

The next day was full of exam studying and all sorts of uninteresting daily life type things, so with this, I conclude my trip to Morocco. I must say, it was a truly spectacular trip. I loved every minute of it!

A quick note before I leave you: I only have 1 month and 1 day left in Spain. This is insane. It seems like so long until I leave to go home, but also like such a short time that I have left here. Complicated. To put it in terms of travel:

This weekend, we’re going to Cordoba/Granada with ISA.

Next weekend, ISA is hosting a Thanksgiving day feast, and then we are traveling with them to Ronda.

The next weekend I will be in Sevilla, and we don’t have school that whole week. That Tuesday I will leave for London with the beautiful Taryn, and we will come back Sunday.

That final week is exams, and then we leave Friday night (according to madre) to get to Madrid early early on Saturday, December 17th.

I can’t believe how time has flown.


2 Responses to “Morocco, Part 5”

  1. xandimusic November 16, 2011 at 11:19 am #

    very, very amazing pics!


  1. Morocco, Part 4 « ¡Aventuras en España! - November 16, 2011

    […] Author Jess ← Morocco, Part 3 Morocco, Part 5 → […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: